If you are 13 and in Year 9, or between the ages of 14 and 24, a member of Girlguiding, and want to do your Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award, then this is for you. We will provide comprehensive training and support you in completing a walking-based expedition. We will also support you as you complete the other three sections of the award – Physical, Skills and Volunteering – including using eDofE.
You’ll need to attend all the dates below to complete your Bronze Expedition section:
- 27 March 2021: ½ day virtual training session including introduction to the eDofE application and expedition training areas that can be covered remotely
- 24 and 25 April 2021: 2 full training days including walks both directly and remotely supervised (West Berkshire)
- 10 – 11 July 2021: Assessed expedition in West Berkshire. Whether we can camp overnight or not will depend on restrictions at the time. If we are not able to camp this will be run as a “go-home overnight” expedition.
Further details of what is needed for each session will be sent out in advance. The training sessions and expedition will be run in accordance with Covid-19 guidance applicable at the time as issued by the National Youth Agency, Girlguiding and DofE.
The training sessions will include all you need to be ready to go on expedition. We’ll cover:
- Route planning, practical navigation and map reading
- Camp skills including tent pitching, expedition food and how to cook it
- Equipment to take on expedition and how to pack it
- Personal fitness, first aid and what to do in an emergency
The cost is £75 which covers the training sessions, assessed expedition, and group equipment (tent, trangia, maps etc). To keep costs down transport to the training days and expeditions is provided by parents. Further information can be found here
If you have not yet registered for your DofE Bronze award, you also need to complete the DofE Participant Enrolment form (and pay the enrolment fee) and email this at the same time.
If you have questions on the expedition, registering for your Bronze award, or prefer to pay by cheque please email the County DofE team at firstname.lastname@example.org